- Put a brick under the water bottle. It absorbs the water that would otherwise soak your fleece or bedding. Plus, they help grind down your furbabies nails when they go to take a drink. They are much cheaper than drip pads, since you have to wash them constantly, which leads to you to buy more. They never look all that bad either.
- An inexpensive and quick snuggle sack made from a pillowcase and fleece! All you have to do is line the inside of a pillowcase with a piece of fleece, and roll the opening back once or twice. Voila, an instant snuggle sack for the cuddly pigs, or the ones who just want a snooze! They soil easily, but since they are so easy to replace, it doesn’t really matter.
- Cylinder Hack rack. All you need for this is 2 grids (9x9 so they cannot get stuck) and a brick or two. You bend both grids in half and put them together, so there is a cylinder shape, put the bricks on either side to secure it and put the hay in the middle! This is a really cheap hay rack, you can make it as big or little as you want and it can conveniently go anywhere in the cage.
- Rubber bands for bottle holders. This one is really common and easy, but I thought I would mention it as it is really helpful. Personally, I always lose the little chains that come with water bottles, so instead of buying a new one, just use a rubber band. Find a bar and and loop your rubber band over it, and pull it around so that the band is folded in half. Then take one of the halves and loop it through the other and pull tightly. Ta-Da, you’re done! These can come in any sizes, which is nice for the extra large bottles. Plus, they are easily replaceable and cheap.
- #5 is more of a tip to owning piggies. If you are new to owning them, then plan on spending most of your time in that room, so they can affiliate the sounds, smells, and activity of you. When I first got my boys, I spent at least a month in my room after school let out. Now, Cocoa runs up to greet me and even will give me kisses!
Now, go out and try all of these hacks, because they help make our lives a lot easier. Try googling some of your own as well, you’ll be surprised by what you find!